Ryan's Sweet Memories

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Friday, November 7, 2008

New Dish - Oyster Mushroom



Oyster mushroom is a new vegetable for Ryan. This time, I cook it in the porridge together with shredded carrot and sweet corn. It will serve as Ryan 's breakfast & lunch for today. (as I updated this post on 7th Nov'08 @12.45am,so it considered as today)

Hope Ryan will like to eat this porridge *-*

Quoted from website :
Oyster mushrooms (Pleurotus Ostreatus) is a fleshy, gilled mushroom growing in shelf-like fashion on wood that is a good food and promising medicinal. Protein quality is nearly equal to animal derived protein. Low fat content is mostly of the good unsaturated kind. Also contained are carbohydrates, fiber, vitamins B1, B2, plus minerals, especially iron and an antioxident. This mushroom shows activity against cancer and high cholesterol. It has shown activity in the following areas: antitumor, immune response, anti-inflammatory, antiviral and antibiotic.

Another porridge recipe to check it - http://kuali.com/recipes/viewrecipe.asp?r=261out : (can substitute the abalone/shitake mushroom to Oyster mushroom)

13 comments:

2xMum said...

Ooo... the porridge looks nice! Thanks for sharing the recipe :)

LittleLamb said...

why i cant see the picture one?
Btw, the porridge is sweet? does the sweet come from mushroom or carrot/corn?

U thinly sliced the mushroom too??

cre8tone said...

Wow!~ gonna try this for my boy.. thankx for sharing..

slavemom said...

I've heard that mushrooms hv hi nutritional value. Jes recently, I've added golden m/rooms into CE's diet. I think he likes them.

MeRy said...

Doreen - u r most welcome.

Littlelamb - u mean u can't see the mushroom pic?? Bit weird.I also dunno y leh. Maybe u try to refresh ur PC and c ok or not.
The sweetness of the porridge is from corn + mushroom.It is a nice combination. I slice the mushroom into tiny pieces. Easier for Ryan to chew.

Peiwun - Let's give a try...Hope Sean will like it.

Slavemom - Agreed with u...mushroom has a high nutritional value...My boy Ryan also like to eat mushroom.How u cook the mushroom?? Mind to share ur recipes?

Sarah's Daddy and Mommy said...

It must be a super nice porridge. I like oyster mushroom very much.

Mummy Gwen said...

Why the oyster mushrooms I bought that day not nice leh. I prefer the swiss brown mushrooms instead. Just my opinion. :)

Esmeralda said...

wow.. the porridge must have a very nice smell ya Mery... Ryan sure loves it! Thanks for sharing ya..

MeRy said...

Joanne - I also like to eat oyster mushroom.

Mummy Gwen - maybe the oyster mushroom that u bought that day has been kept for quite long, tats y not fresh.

Esmeralda - porridge is very sweet....Ryan loves it alot.

SY said...

i like to eat this mushroom too..

Natalia said...

I like oyster mushroom. Definitely will try it. Thanks ya Mery.

Natalia said...

Mery, you put all the ingredients together or the mushroom at last?

MeRy said...

SuYing - I like to eat this mushroom too...cooked with mixed vege(chap chai) is the best.

Natalia - I cook the corn & shredded carrot first for abt 10 mins, then put the oyster mushroom in & cook for another 20 mins. U can also add some marinated pork/chicken meat to add sweetness to the porridge.